Friday 29 July 2011

It's Friday!


































Hi all,


How are you?

We've had another disappointing day today, however we have made the most of a day off school. We got up early to find out that the strike over pay was still on. Cathy and Claire B were able to go into school to teach today as they are working in a school in the town centre and lots of children are still sent to school regardless of the strike. The children are mainly taught by prefects instead. Our school, however is a village school so all the children help on the farms and at home instead during the strike. So Alicia and I stayed behind to prepare resources for next week and things to leave behind when we go home. We had a productive morning cutting out 120 stars and writing poetry! Very civilised! We then visited the Act4Africa office where everyone was working very hard (you can pay me later for that Andy!)

This afternoon we headed down to Jinja town and passed by the teachers' union to show our support. We also visited the market where they sold everything from fried Talapia (fish) to tupperware boxes. It was a really bustling place however I'm not sure I'd like to buy anything from there.

During our walk around the town, we met a beautiful little girl called Bella, she was sat on the street playing with rubbish while her mother worked on a stall. She was intrigued by the Muzungu's (white people) that were passing by. We stopped to chat to her and her mother and Bella cried when we left. Her mum shouted after us that she wanted to come with us.


We are waiting to hear from our headteacher about whether school will reopen or not on Monday. If it does not reopen, we have arranged to work in a privately run school in Jinja that accommodates the orphaned children in Uganda, so we will be able to support the teachers and children there too.

We are missing the children of Budondo Primary greatly, but support the teachers in their fight for more pay. The teachers work under very difficult conditions; 80 children in a class, no resources, long hours, poor accommodation and very little money. We wouldn't stand for it in England!

That's all for now!

Speak soon

Claire & the Act4Africa team.xxxx


2 comments:

  1. Hi Claire,

    surprise surprise this is Aunty Barabara. Your mum and I have just finished our furniture removal from my house to hers. I have just read your blog and you seem to be having so many fantastic experiences, well done I am very proud of you. I look forward to hearing a lot more on your return. Your mum Jean and Margaret are going out for an Italian tomorrow night and then going to TC for lunch on Thursday. Am I looking after her ok? I am off home now so love to you and Alicia. Love Aunty Barbara x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire, I don't know whether you got my reply last night, but I did say that I would not be where you are re s**** especially when you screamed at the rat. Love and kisses Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete